Saturday, February 14, 2009

WWJ(+KDSDBRAPA)D?

I had a conference call with my dad and my family therapist the other day. It was very nice to get to share my dad with somebody here. He just seems to ooze wisdom. The wise old Al (lol, I just made that up!). Knowledge that no Harvard education can provide. I'm really lucky he's my dad. (I can just picture each of my sisters' going awww.) Anyway, dad suggested that I should reach out to my siblings more. So that is what I'm going to do right now.
Kathy, Dan, Scot, Diane, Bambi, Robin, Angie, Mom and Dad (kids and spouses are welcome, but not necessary) : I need help deciding what I am going to do for "structure". Put yourself in my shoes when you read the choices. What would be the best thing for me? You can email me or call me, or leave a comment (I changed the settings, so anyone can leave comments now). I really do value every one's thoughts and opinions, so can everyone please respond as soon as possible? Thank you, I love you and miss y'all. If you are a stranger, I don't love or miss you and I don't want your opinion.

These are my options:
1. Get a J-O-B. I don't have enough time to get a full time job, and I don't really know how long I'll be here, so some places won't hire me for that reason. So I'll probably end up working at a restaurant or something that isn't exactly intellectually stimulating.
Pros-I'll make money, acquire work ethic, get some "structure" and meet new people.
Cons- It will only be part time, so it won't be something I'm not already used to. Plus, I don't wanna work... it's something I'll have to learn to want to do first. ..(that last part may just be a big fat excuse, but it sounded good).

2. Volunteer. I'd probably work at a no kill shelter where I'd get to be around dogs, but part of my job would probably be picking up poop. Or, I'd do something to help with the poor, kids, or old people.
Pros- Fulfillment. Learning to be a caretaker, I may be able to work with dogs. The feeling of being a better person and doing my part...=less depression and worthless feelings. Plus, I'll learn to be a little less narcissistic, and a little more altruistic.
Cons-If I don't want to get a job that pays, why would I wanna get one that doesn't? (my little conscience angel just popped up and reminded me that the feeling of doing something good for others is better pay than all the money in the world).

3. Hobbies and non-credit classes. I'd probably take a sewing class, an art class, and maybe a pottery class. I'd do a yoga or aerobics class of some kind before group at the place up the road, and take some courses in business and finance at the Harvard extension.
Pros-I'd get to tell people that I'm going to school at Harvard. I love doing all that artsy stuff. I'll stay busy. I'll get in shape...I might be able to get back into gymnastics..which I love. I'll be able to fill up my time with stuff that I actually enjoy doing, and I'll be able to learn new things that may be valuable for my future.
Cons-They all cost money and I'm running low. Most of the groups will be in Cambridge and parking is a bitch.

4. Go to school. One of the tests I took last week tested areas of study I would be best at. It said that the best fields of study for me would be in design, or something in business/marketing. I agree. I could easily get into design school, and get a degree in 1-2 years, and I know I'll enjoy doing it.
Pros- I am in the land of a thousand colleges, and it would be nice to finish school. I feel like I have a good opportunity and I might regret it if I don't take it. Plus, I will be able to live in something a little less 'short term'. It's probably the best thing for me in terms of breaking from the apron strings. Also, I'd be working towards something that I want and that I'll be happy doing.
Cons- I can't afford it. I will miss my family. Tim won't be very happy, we might end up breaking up and I'll get sad. I miss the dogs. It will take a lot of work. It will be a huge step to take and I don't know how I'll handle it.

So...that's my schpeel. Now it's your turn. But, just a reminder...I'm seeking opinions and advise. I'm open to any thoughts and ideas, just leave the decision making up to me. Thanks for taking your time out to help me. Happy VD. The first one to respond back gets a prize!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Opinion is that you should get a job. It doesn't need to be a fancy job but something where you are working with other people at least closer to your age and also one in which you work with customers.

Blog Archive