Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I'm Not Gonna Do It

In DBT today, we did this weird activity that made me feel awkwardly stupid. It was one of those exercises where participation is required from everyone because if one person doesn't participate, it doesn't work. So prior to doing the activity, Dr. Murphy made sure me and the three other girls in group were willing to do what the lady on the tape tells us to do. We all agreed. So we begin. The lady on the tape instructs us to relax and get comfortable and join in whenever we're ready. I was not sure what she meant until she started chanting "Shaaaa-loooommmmmmm". So I look around the room and nobody is joining the chant except Dr. M, and I'm not about to jump in because I feel ridiculous... so for the next 2 minutes Dr. Murphy and the lady on the tape are singing "Shalom" over and over while me and the other girls silently shared confused looks. Nobody ever joined in. Dr. Murphy was not happy.
"This is the first time in 15 years" she said, "that absolutely nobody joined in". Then of course, she went around the room and got every one's explanations. When my turn came, I knew that saying "I felt silly" wasn't gonna fly, so I came up with the brilliant excuse that I don't feel comfortable chanting Jewish terminology...which I totally made up. The words were literally coming out of my mouth before I knew what I saying . So now I sound like a Jew basher, and then she asks me if I would prefer if we chanted "Bon Joir", and I replied by asking "why can't we chant an English word?" So now I look like a Jew bashing, non-English speaking hater and the more I tried to get my foot out of my mouth, the more ignorant my statements became, so I left.

No comments:

Blog Archive